Monday, July 16, 2018

*As Is



We were in Italy and ordering some food at a quaint outdoor cafe. I am on a Keto diet and I am avoiding bread so I chose the omelette while my husband ordered pizza. I noticed that the omelette on the menu said “plain” and that meant just cheese and there were no other options listed. So I had plans to ask the waiter to add some ingredients such as mushrooms onions and maybe some meat. When I asked the very Italian waiter quickly gave me a loud “no”. I was very surprised and stuttered due to my shock and said “what?” Thinking that maybe with his thick accent I didn’t understand. To which he responded, it comes “as is and that is it”. “You will love it.” he said. So I closed my mouth which was still open due to my shock and awe and said meekly, “thank you”. Now my internal voice was having a quite colorful dialogue regarding customer service, astonishment and some embarrassment. How dare he!

I am used to choices and options and in America we can have it “our way” all the time. In fact if something cannot be altered or changed in some way then we get quite aggravated and God forbid if someone tells us “no”. We will have the CEO on speed dial and post negative reviews on facebook, Yelp etc within seconds on our phones.

I had to remember that we are in a different culture and I will have to set aside some of my mindsets and preferences in order to enjoy this country and the experience. So I straightened my self out internally and made sure that it showed on the outside as well. Let me just say...it was hard! Don was giving me "that" look that said "behave!"

It is so easy to think that everything and everyone has to conform to our ways. Well...maybe our way isn’t the best way. I know that sounds preposterous! But we will never know unless we try something different. So I waited in anticipation for this “Plain Cheese Omelette” and you know what? It was the best omelette that I have ever eaten. The chef really really knew what he was doing and had perfected his recipe.The waiter was so delighted when I responded positively about it...he had no doubts.

What kind of thing are you trying to alter or edit that has been already perfected for you? We have to trust that God knows what is best for us and is the giver of all perfect gifts. I have found myself so many times trying to let God know what plan would work best for my life.
No matter how you feel about what is going on in your life, God reminds us in Isaiah 43 1-5. He knows your name and that you belong to Him. He sees your every move, and there’s no place you can go where He won’t join you. He thinks about you, and He smiles over the idea of you. He will fight for you. He is good. He is freedom. So surrender to His ways. He is the master chef and His plans for you are “As Is”....and they are GOOD!

“Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you.
I’ve called your name. You’re mine.
When you’re in over your head, I’ll be there with you.
When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you’re between a rock and a hard place,
it won’t be a dead end—
Because I am God, your personal God,
The Holy of Israel, your Savior.
I paid a huge price for you:
That’s how much you mean to me!
That’s how much I love you!
I’d sell off the whole world to get you back,
trade the creation just for you. “So don’t be afraid: I’m with you.


You are Graciously Adorned

❤Jonna

Search This Blog