Monday, July 7, 2014

Is Church Really About Us?



I pose this question, "Do we go to church for activities, events, convenience and comfort?  Is our agenda to have our egos stroked and our desires met? Do we have a consumerism attitude somewhat like shopping where we only will go where things seem the best and have the most exciting offerings? 

Have we even considered that the church might need us? What part should each of us play in the health, growth and ministry of the church?  Is church shopping and church swapping simply a matter of wanting a place that provides us with a sense of being ‘spiritual’ but does not require that we think, respond, receive correction, get provoked with truth and actually make investments in something that does not give us direct and immediate benefit? Have we developed a shopping mentality that says, “If this doesn’t work for me, I’ll just split and give it a shot somewhere else?” Has a church home become “all about me?” 

While I do not think that most people I know or go to church with thinks like this...I so feel the attitude has invaded the Christian church like coupons in the Sunday paper! I pose another thought to you today because all of us need some reminding now and again: 

What if people found a church and joined it with an attitude that says, not every sermon must be for me, not every song must be my style, not every activity has to be one that I would join. Instead we have an attitude that asks, Where can I serve?, Whom can I assist?, Where could my spiritual gifts be best put to use?

What if they approached it like a good marriage and determined to work through dry periods, refuse to walk out when things don’t lean our direction, give others the benefit of the doubt, operate in forgiveness, to be patient, to demonstrate loyalty, love others unconditionally, perseverance and ownership?

The world has enough self-centered critics. No church is perfect, just like no family is perfect. Maybe it’s time we quit asking what’s in it for us and start asking, “What can I do to serve?”  A church shouldn’t be about attire, convenient service schedules, worship styles, certain coffees or personal preferences. A pastor can’t always be a motivator, a professor, financial analyst, architect, counseling guru, leadership expert, bedside comforter, organizer and a musician. We need to have reasonable expectations of our church and its leadership. We need to love our Church where it's at now. 

It should be about being a called-out community of believers who are committed to using their God-given gifts for His glory and our good. When we find a church that is built on truth and a pastor that is committed to teaching, preaching and modeling it — then more times than not, we need to stay put and find a place for service no matter the new shiny thing advertised. 

Adjust that Crown

Jonna







No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog