Saturday, July 28, 2018

*My Lifeboat


When we purchased this British Isle cruise we knew that it was almost sold out. So when the travel agent told us that there was only one balcony room left...Don and I were super excited! She was quick to tell us though that the view was “obstructed” and she really had no idea what kind of obstructed view” it was. We told her that we were just so happy about getting the balcony that we really didn’t care. Finally the time came for us to board and the term “obstructed view” kept turning over in my mind as we made our way to our room. I want a good view of those Ireland and Scotland coastlines! I sure hope that it isn’t too bad.

When we opened our stateroom door... I have to tell you that I was shocked. I was shocked because the lifeboat that would rescue us in case of an emergency was actually hanging in front of our balcony! The previous thoughts of “oh we are just happy to have a balcony” flew out the window and in astonishment I opened the glass sliding door and got a closer look. 

While I was talking loudly about the big orange lifeboat that was in front of my face and so boldly ruining the beautiful view, I heard some chatter from the next balcony over. I glanced to my right and there were two couples in the adjoining balconies excitedly talking about the gorgeous ocean view and how beautiful it was. I looked out onto the water. What? Did they not see the eyesore that was in front of their very eyes? 

As I listened I started to feel ashamed. I smiled weakly and waved sheepishly their way when they noticed me. I then quickly closed the glass door and told Don. “I am just so glad to have this balcony room and to be on this cruise.” Don smiled not really knowing why my attitude had changed so quickly.

The couple next to us had a WAY worse view than we had. In fact they had a giant white hydraulic lift in front of them, but her perspective was different. She was looking beyond the obstacle and beyond what was right in front of her and could see the beauty beyond that. She may have had the same reaction as me when she first arrived but the difference was that she had already replaced her disappointment with gratefulness. 

Every morning me and my lifeboat had a nice chat on that balcony. It was lifeboat #7 and held 293 passengers. I kinda thought it might come in handy after all in case this ship turned into the Titanic. At times of course I wished that it wasn’t there but over the next 12 nights it started speaking to me. In fact I even stopped cropping it out of all my photos. It became a great memory of our trip. It reminded me to look higher. 

There are so many times that we dwell on the circumstances we cannot change that looms in front of us. It brings frustration, aggravation and even bitterness and adds nothing to our situation. We wonder why our life would look like if things were different. But by choosing to have a higher perspective we find contentment and then we can easily see the positive and the good in knowing that in everything and in every situation we can encounter joy if we look for it. 



You are Graciously Adorned
🖤Jonna

Search This Blog