Monday, June 16, 2014

What are YOU Looking for?




A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.

"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

 "They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the
scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town."

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.


Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them." 

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."

What is it that you see in others? At lot of times we perceive things based on unmet expectations and disappointments. When you travel from relationship to relationship and from church to church...you tend to carry baggage that you might not be aware of. When you find yourself complaining and seeing the worst and talking negative abot the people around you...it might be time to examine YOURSELF!! You might be seeing the world throught dirt-colored glasses!

It is so EASY to see the fault in others and not see it in ourselves. I know that for a fact! I was going to tell this lady a thing or two one day about her bad attitude and the looks and snide remarks she always gave. I had it all planned out in my head....what I was going to say and how she was going to give these lame excuses that I could easily cut her into pieces! Yep...I was confident I was going to come out shining and she would be at my feet begging for mercy. 

WELL....unfortunately it didn't turn out as planned. LOL. She spoke with me very candidly and explained what she saw in me and I had to literally shut my mouth using my hand! I was the one in the wrong and all along I was blaming it on someone else!!!

You might be saying....NO WAY....but I am saying YES WAY! I haven't always been poised! LOL. I have learned so much on this journey in life and I STILL stumble and make mistakes.

Unpack your bags and stay and work things out in difficult situations. If we are to become more like Jesus then we have to be teachable and we have to realize that problems and difficulties refine us and make us smoother and more loveable and better able to co-exist with others. Just like rocks in a stream that get smoother and smoother when the water knocks the rocks into each other. Those are some of the prettiest rocks! I want to be a smooth rock and not a rough one that hurts others when they touch me or that is hurt easily by others.

Unity is so important and if you find yourself always at odds with others...well....you might just need a little polishing my friend. Some people I know (from other churches of course! ha) get upset at the smallest of things and blame and point fingers. I don't know about you...but my mom always told me that when you point your fingers at others...there are 3 other ones pointing at yourself. That gives me 3 opportunities to make sure that there isn't anything that I need to correct first before talking to or blaming someone else. See...we always are given a way out...IF we are self-aware! We need to get some rose-colored glasses to see the best in everybody and every situation...because we are called to LOVE!

The Most Important Commandment: 28 One of the religion scholars came up. Hearing the lively exchanges of question and answer and seeing how sharp Jesus was in his answers, he put in his question: “Which is most important of all the commandments?” 29-31 Jesus said, “The first in importance is, ‘Listen, Israel: The Lord your God is one; so love the Lord God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence and energy.’ And here is the second: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ There is no other commandment that ranks with these.”  Mark 12:28-31


Learn it from me and not the hard way.....when other's try to help you: take it and go with it because if God has to deal with ya personally about something...it just isnt' as easy and a little bit messier! Remember Jonah? Selah!

Adjust that Crown!
Love you!

Jonna

Search This Blog