Monday, December 24, 2018

*The Greatest Kind of Gift

Thoughtfulness. It is truly the greatest kind of gift you will ever receive. I love all the gifts that people have given but there is one that truly stands out. It is a gift that was birthed out of not only a friend that listens and hears but also of love and compassion. If you find a friend like that...you have truly found one of the most wonderful things in life. 

I was invited over for dinner by a family in our church and after dinner we started talking about Christmas presents and how they have to hide them in various places so that their kids will not find them. It was at this time that I told the story about my childhood Christmas mishap. It goes like this: I was 5 years old and my parents went to do something and I was there with my older sisters and I just sat by the tree and was looking at all the gifts that were wrapped so nicely and the lights were twinkling. I was mesmerized.  I then did what all kids do and I started counting how many gifts that I had compared to everyone else. It was in the handling of the gifts that I found a small "tear" in the side of one of my gifts. I promise that I did NOT make that tear! I had this thought...I could easily unwrap it a little bit more and see what was in it and then wrap it back. Hmmmm. Okay...I know now that wasn't the voice of wisdom! So being the 5 year old that I was...I opened the gift and to my great delight was a Sesame Street Big Bird puppet! I was so excited. I had wanted that puppet so bad. I had seen it several times at the store. So I attempted to fix the mess I made and quickly threw it under the tree so no one would see what I had done. The days until Christmas went by slowly and I remembering dreaming at night and even day dreaming about that puppet. So on Christmas morning as my parents were handing out our gifts. I noticed that that particular gift wasn't in my pile. I spied it next to my brother so I went over to get the gift and my mom said, "No that is your brother Johnny's gift". I insisted that it was mine and that it had my name on it. My mom showed me the tag that said "Johnny" and to my shock it didn't say "Johnna". I was so upset. I opened all my presents in sadness. Nothing that I had gotten would make me happy. I truly was so jealous of my brother as he played and enjoyed his gift. The gift that should have been MINE! 

So apparently I was still suffering through some issues in regards to this childhood Christmas trauma!  Haha. Because as I shared this story, I realized that I was being quite passionate about it and found myself somewhat embarrassed. I then shared how I had always made sure that my kids could not open their presents before Christmas for this very reason. They laughed and we went about our evening. Then a few days later I get a gift from this family. I open it and to my amazement and surprise....it was a Sesame Street Big Bird Puppet! I cried. I think that I hugged her three or four times. You may be saying that this is just crazy and you know what...I have no idea what I am going to do with it except to have it as a reminder that God knows just what you need when you need it!

God will bring you the right people to remind you that there are people out there who care, who love and who listen. NEVER ever think that you are alone and that the small things in life do not matter. It does to God and to the people around you. Be willing to open your heart to others and then also be willing to not only listen to others but hear what they are truly saying. 

The greatest kind of gift is one that is thoughtful. Being thoughtful isn't easy. Thoughtful people don't wait, they "create" opportunities to make life better and more enjoyable for those around them. They are quick to compliment, to affirm and they see the value in something and in someone even when it doesn't seem obvious. Thoughtful people know that when you think about someone else more than yourself...it makes you feel better as well. I know this...the thoughtful acts of this family opened my eyes to so many things. There are so many good people out there; despite what the news says, what facebook shows, and it has inspired me to be better and to love people more intentionally. 
God open our eyes to SEE what you see and be the Joy that someone needs today!


"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”  Mark 12:30-31

You Are Graciously Adorned!

❤Jonna





Search This Blog