Monday, March 6, 2017

*Overwhelmed

I overslept. I somehow didn't hear three alarms and woke up an hour late for an appointment. Then I got up and stumbled around not able to decide what direction to go. I got in the shower and someone just used the last of the shampoo. I was out of dog food. I didn't have any coffee. I had decided that I was too tired to go grocery shopping the previous night and now I regretted it. I forgot to turn on the dryer and the outfit that I was going to wear was still damp. At this point I just sat on the couch in my robe and hair that I just washed with dishwashing liquid...and make the genius decision to just get back in bed....wet hair and all. I know that sounds extreme...and pathetically enough...it is all true! Sometimes things just get bad and yes and when we aren't organized; it can lead to chaos and add to anxiety. 

Let's look at the word overwhelmed according to Dictionary.com: "to turn upside down, to overthrow," from over- + MiddleEnglish whelmen "to turn upside down" (see whelm ). Meaning "to submerge completely" is mid-15c. Perhaps the connecting notion is a boat,etc., washed over, and overset, by a big wave. Figurative sense of "to bring to ruin" is attested from 1520s. Related: Overwhelmedoverwhelming overwhelmingly


When we are constantly in a state of being overwhelmed we are actually in ruins spiritually! As the definition explains it is like you are washed over by a big wave and turned upside and in ruins. That is  exactly how I feel on the "high stress" days! Now I don't think that a child of God can have a good testimony if they are always in ruins! There is a time when we need to look up and say, "Jesus take the wheel!" and let go of it all. God has given us the power to take control of our emotions and our day...we just need to bring Him into the picture. I have noticed that when I do not start my day with some Jesus time that the busy days gets a little out of control. 


Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, for to this you were called as members of one body. And be thankful Colossians 3:15. Let us not forget the amazing time when Jesus in Mark chapter 4 spoke to the storm and said "Peace be still." We need to speak into our day, into our calendar, into our homes and our jobs. We will NOT be ruled by the craziness of schedules and expectations and we will not live in stress and worry but we will be people of PEACE. 


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33


Jesus didn't say that He was "overwhelmed by the world"...He said that He OVERCAME the world. So because He overcame it...you can be an overcomer as well THROUGH the work that He already completed just for you. 

So look up today in the middle of your mess and speak peace...you know...that peace that passes ALL understanding that only comes from your heavenly Father and then do your part!



You are Graciously Adorned
❤ Jonna



Search This Blog