Monday, February 11, 2013

Compassion is a Verb


So many people tell me that I am such a compassionate and loving person. I sincerely appreciate the compliment but it is truly a God-given attribute and it is not without any sad and faulty beginnings. Don't get me wrong...I have always loved people. I grew up watching my mom and dad give literally the clothes off their back to people that were in need. I was raised in an environment of giving, loving and investing in people. And despite that I made a horrible mistake one day that I will never easily forget. 


I was in Junior High and there was a new boy at my school that was close to 6 foot tall, had failed several grades and had some unsual facial features which made him stand out BIG time. Everybody made fun of him and no matter where he was or what he was doing there was always someone calling him names and taking jabs at him. I felt sorry for him. He would just put his head down and never say anything back.       
    

One day after school there was a group of kids outside and I approached the crowd and recognized several of my friends. They were berating this boy from the way he looked, how old he was, the clothes that he wore, etc. I listened to the remarks until it was over. I stood in the group; silent but guilty by association. I wanted to take up for him and tell everyone to be quiet and leave him alone but I couldn't find the courage to speak up. After all...what would my friends say? What would the girl that I wanted to be friends with say if I said anything? I remember the last time I saw him; he was walking home with a few kids behind him. I am sure they were harassing him the whole way. 


The next day we got an announcement at school that our classmate had killed himself. He had went home wrote a suicide note, put a bag over his head, tied it around his neck and inhaled gasoline through a hose. In the newspaper it talked about how his father and him was new to the area and that he had recently lost his mother to cancer. I was devastated and my chest literally hurt. Some of my classmates actually laughed. I cried. 


It isn't popular sometimes to take a stand and do right when others around you don't seem to be. Since that fateful day I have replayed this scenario in my head a million times and asked myself what I could have done and how it might have ended differently if only I would have stood up for the guy. I cried out to God asking for forgiveness and to take the guilt away. I also prayed that the nightmares would disappear quickly...but they didn't. But slowly God did a work in my heart and I began to look at people through different eyes and I found myself being drawn to those eating by themselves, intervening when someone was being ridiculed, and just being more aware of people in general. I really feel like God placed in me a compassion for people that are hurting and a love for the unloveable. In many ways I feel He gave me another chance and I will NEVER let Him down again.

Compassion is a word of action. It is not observing from the sidelines; it is the heartfelt care for another with both intent and action. It exemplifies the character of God in who He is and how He responds to His children. In fact it is one of the Ten Commandments in "loving thy neighbor as yourself" and let's not forget..."The Golden Rule"! The compassion of Christ carries the notion of tenderness and affection. It is a feeling with and for others that is a fundamental and distinctive quality of God. He is the God of all comfort and the Father of compassion (Psalm 116:5; 2 Corinthians 1:3-5). Christ's compassion has no limits. He ignores categories of people that are set within society and touches those who would come to Him — no matter who they are or what they have done. The poor, disenfranchised, suffering, and marginalized in society are precious to God (Isaiah 61:1; Luke 4:18; 6:20; 7:22). Jesus cares for the oppressed and downtrodden (Luke 4:18,19). 

If we are going to truly be the hands and feet of Jesus then we need to be willing to stand and take action when it is uncomfortable, inconvenient and unpopular. Never think that what you say or do cannot make a difference in someones life.....it could actually be the difference between life or death.


--Shine your light!
     Jonna 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog