Thursday, April 2, 2015

Pondering



I cannot really think about Easter and not think about Mary, the mother of Jesus. As a mom I do wonder what she was thinking and feeling. We tend to think of her as having such a great life being chosen for her role in Jesus coming to Earth. But at the same time she knew great sorrow and had to endure things that most people never had to even think about. With her "chosen-ness" came great sacrifice and pain.
"And all who heard it wondered at the things which were told them by the shepherds.    But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart." Luke 2:18-19
 
The word "ponder" means to weigh in the mind, or consider quietly. It is allowing a thing to be in one's heart where it can be treasured and quietly reflected on. So I think about Mary meditating on the scriptures that she was taught as a child. Did she think ahead to the cross? She was taught the Old Testament scriptures. Her heart must have been broken as she considered Isaiah 53.

 "Surely he hath borne our grief, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

She had to have a clue on what the "bigger picture" was yet she quietly reflected; treasuring the knowledge and information she had been given. I know that sometimes when I see what may happen down the road or inevitably in a situation that I tend to "freak out" and panic about all the possible outcomes, scenarios and then I visualize how I might prevent that all from happening. I know that isn't good at all! But I am sure that I am not the only guilty of this!

Mary didn't live life as a perfect person or saint....but as a woman who knew that the role she had; whether it seemed fair or not...was a part of significance. Giving birth to Jesus had to have been nothing short of amazing....but seeing your son on the cross and treated like a criminal had to have been more than most of us could bear.

She could have freaked out and lived fearful of the future. She could have even reacted and spoke out against all the naysayers and defended her son. She could have even told everyone what had happened to her...that an angel came to her and told her that she would give birth as a virgin and she would have a son and his name was to be Jesus. Mary could have bragged and she could have talked about all the injustices as well. But she didn't and CHOSE to be a strong woman of faith and ponder what she knew in her heart. And because of that choice she is looked upon as such a strong woman of faith to this very day.

My how we all need to learn to ponder. To have that peaceful attitude and hope knowing that my life is not my own. That God is in control of this mess and He is going to turn it all around for good. Why? Because He loves me and has called me to a higher purpose. That He has got this!


Ponder on That!

Jonna



*This blog is written by Jonna Gibson for "Invisible Crown". You can follow it at Jonna-invisiblecrown.blogspot.com




 
 
 
 
 

Search This Blog