Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Road Rage

A man was being tailgated by a stressed out woman on a busy street. Suddenly, the light turned yellow just in front of him. He did the right thing, stopping at the crosswalk. The tailgating woman hit the roof, and the horn, screaming as she missed her chance to get through the intersection.

As she was still in mid-rant, she heard a tap on her window and looked up into the face of a police officer. He took her to the police station where she was placed in a holding cell. After a couple of hours, the policeman opened the cell door and said, "I'm very sorry for this mistake. You see, I pulled up behind your car while you were blowing your horn, flipping off the guy in front of you, and cussing a blue streak at him. I noticed the 'What Would Jesus Do?' bumper sticker, the 'Follow Me to Sunday School' bumper sticker, and the chrome-plated Christian fish emblem on the trunk. Naturally, I assumed you had stolen the car!"

 
I know that story seems far-fetched but how many of us has experienced some kind of road rage on our commute to work? We may be the victim of it or....the perpetrator! I find myself calling people dumb or an idiot out loud while I am driving. I have also been guilty of throwing up my hands in disbelief or staring at a driver while I pass them as if to say, "Where did you learn to drive?" While this may seem innocent enough; in comparison to the above the story, it isn't a healthy thing at all. I know I have shared before where a member of one of our churches stuck their middle finger out at Don & I as we pulled out in front of them. (Don was driving) Now of course when she realized it was us she about had a heart attack I am sure! Later at church she avoided us and we didnt bring it up. Ha. Compassion and love and especially patience are all wonderful fruits that we need to see grow in our lives and we need to be aware of just what we are producing and giving out to others.
"Create in me a clean heart oh God and renew a right spirit within me." Psalms 51:10
What the problem is that we want our own way and when we don't get it and exactly "how we want it when we want it" we get angry. What we have to realize is that the situation is beyond our control and no beating on the steering wheel, honking of our horn or fist pumping in the air is going to change that. But as a Christian, are we supossed to act this way? Galatians 5:22-23 tell us about how we are to be developing character and qualities that are Christ-like in our lives and from what I see we have to PRACTICE them daily. I am not saying do them perfectly...I am saying practice them daily. Eventually they may become second nature in our lives. 

I am not saying that we aren't supposed to get angry....it is normal to do that...there are a whole lot of things that I get angry at! We are not to sin in the midst of our anger. We have a choice on how we handle ourselves in those situations. Make sure you are listening to some good music that lifts your mood and puts your thoughts on our creator. Praying on my way to work definitely helps...I find myself asking God to "help that crazy driver in the red car".  If I keep my focus on HIM then things are always better and my choices always seem clearer and easier. I have even gotten a revelation from God once that a person that I was upset at (who almost side-swiped me) was going through something and the realization hit me like a ton of bricks that I was lacking a heart of compassion. And according to Webster: compassion is the sympathetic awareness of others' distress. Now while that sounds over-saved (as my boys would say) it is so true! Who knows...we might be the maniac driver that someone out there is watching and praying for...ha...that would be ironic!


Take a mental note of your posture and presentation of yourself. How is your tone and body language? If your heart isn't right....it will come out one way or another. Usually our frustration is stemming from the fact that we are running late or because of an accident and is it fair to take it out on others? It only takes a moment to get your perspective and priorities in order via a prayer. God wants us to rely on Him especially when things aren't going right in our eyes.  So slow down and take a deep breath because everything is going to be alright. Remember to adjust your crown and....ahem...your attitude today because we are here to make a difference. :)


Jonna

Search This Blog